- This event has passed.
February 5 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
You are invited to our next Memory Makers – a memory café supported by the Novant Foundation on Wednesday, Feb. 5th from 12-2 at Mt. Carmel United Methodist Church – Family Life Center. Come and enjoy the sound of big band while two swing dancers entertain us and teach us some new moves! If you know how to swing dance already, this is a great place for you to be able to show off your skill! However, if you are one who only dances “when no one is watching”, please do not let dancing be a deterrent. We will not pressure anyone to dance who does not want to. You can come and just enjoy lunch, other activities, good company, reminiscing, music and watching others dance. At the bottom of these email, I have included other community events sponsored by Senior Services, Baptist and others that you may enjoy. I want you to be aware of everything offered in the community that will encourage you on your journey.
PARKING: There is plenty of parking. There should be at least two gentlemen in the parking lot showing you where to go. I will also post a sign at both doors you will enter. There is a portico where you can drop off those who are semi-ambulatory or in a wheelchair. We are happy to help them get inside as you park your car.
Mt. Carmel United Methodist Church – Family Life Center
4265 Ebert Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27127
Benefits of a Memory Café include:
- Improved cognition through the arts and exercise (sensory engagement, yoga, music, dance, etc.)
- Reduction of negative behaviors
- Reduction of social isolation
- A safe place where people can just “be”. They can check their disease at the door and enjoy participating in fun activities and socializing. Dementia, Alzheimer’s and other types of neurocognitive disorders are never mentioned.
- The atmosphere is perfect for creating meaningful, bonding experiences for the caregiver and their loved one
We can’t thank the Novant Foundation, Inc. enough for supporting these events. We are also grateful that Mt. Carmel UMC is allowing us to use their beautiful and spacious venue. Finally, we are so thankful for the many volunteers from Mt. Carmel and the community that help make this event run smoothly. A special thank you to Advance Home Care, Griswold Home Care for donating door prizes at our last event and ComForCare Home Care, Amedisys Hospice and Griswold Home Care for graciously agreeing to donate door prizes for our upcoming event. We hope to continue to offer these beautiful bonding experiences to our community for years to come.
Please RSVP if you plan to attend with your name/names and the name of the person living with dementia as space is limited. You are welcome to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are planning to come and I will add your name to the list. Otherwise, you can RSVP by calling our clinic.
Memory Makers 2020 Dates
- Wednesday, 2/5/2020 from 12-2
- Wednesday, 4/1/2020 from 12-2
- Wednesday, 6/3/2020 from 12-2
- Wednesday, 8/5/2020 from 12-2
- Wednesday, 10/7/2020 from 12-2
- Wednesday, 12/2/2020 from 12-2
Melissa Welch, MSW, LCSW
Novant Health Neurosciences
Memory Care Clinic
190 Kimel Park Blvd, Suite 121
Winston Salem, NC 27103